Friday, November 14, 2014

Life in India

There haven’t been too many updates the past two weeks. Last weekend was sports day at AECS. There were a total of four teams and many sports were played over two days. There were competitions and tournaments from basketball to volleyball to football (soccer) to eating contests to bible games and so on. My body got wrecked! I was sore for about 4-5 days and had trouble moving around the first two days. Regardless, I had a very enjoyable time and it was a great opportunity to grow closer and spend more time with the students at AECS.

Today was children’s day here in India. At St. Paul School, we were supposed to have sports day as a part of children’s day, but it was postponed due to the weather. So instead, they had a singing competition and Naomi and I went around the school judging the competition. I also went to a funeral today. It was for an elderly lady who lived in front of PUC, and she passed away this week. President Chung asked me to go with Pastor Yohan to the funeral, and the whole service was in Hindi (or different language other than English).

During the week, teaching my fourth standard English classes are ongoing as well as discipleship group with the 2nd year PUC students. I have put counseling on hold for now as it interferes with the timing of the discipleship group. On Sundays, I am still serving in the youth group.

There are times when it gets difficult, lonely, and homesick. I miss home, my family, my friends, and ANC. But at the same time, it is such a blessing to be here. To be surrounded by people who love Christ, and also people to share the gospel with. People who come from a totally different culture than mine, but yet brothers and sisters I am able to fellowship with. As serving in the ministry here is the heart God has given me, spending time with some of the people here outside of ministry has definitely been memorable.

As my half way mark has passed, please pray that during the next four months, God would continue to use me here to disciple the students, to share the gospel in every given opportunity, and to encourage my fellow brothers and sisters along with the pastors, professors, teachers, and other staff members.





This was a few weeks back. Pastor Abraham took out all the AECS staff to a day of eating, playing games, and fellowship. A mini-retreat and a day of refreshing for the staff.

A month ago, there were huge rainstorms that went on for about a week or two. A good portion of the books at AECS were soaked as they were being stored in the basement and the basement got flooded. 

Indian currency fun fact: You can tell if the bills are real or fake by looking inside the flower (cloud) shape. When you just look at it from one side, it looks like a random design.

But if you put it up against the sun or light, it is the number of the rupees the bill holds. The other half of the design is on the backside where it becomes full when you put the front and back together through the light.

These are counterfeits. You can see that there are no numbers (or the half designs) inside the flower.

This is (was?) a Hindu god that was worshiped for basically being massive...? This sacred tree was struck by lightning during the rainstorms last month and therefore, its branches were cut off.

I have partnered with a few teachers back in the states and arranged our students to be pen pals!

KFC is actually not bad here... I've had it once when Abe, Bryan, and Rebecca were here and I don't remember it being good!

At sports day, women's basketball was a nightmare. It was more like American football.

Many sports going on at sports day!

Brother Michael giving a show as he waits for his team to play.

Eating contest!

Miss Naomi and brother Purna making chapati for the three of us!

The delicious meal they made!



No comments:

Post a Comment